my bickerings and banterings

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Sew in love

My new want: a sweet sewing machine! *drool*

I got one as a gift (from my bridal shower, thanks loves!) which I'm alright with. But compared to my mom's classic 20-year-old one (which are THE best sewing machines, hands down, even better than the newbie technologically-enhanced ones sometimes), my current one is no comparison. Sigh.

I stopped by a nearby Singer store and my eyes were literally glued to one. It cost $499, a far better price than I had expected, because as you can imagine, they go up into the thousands depending on what brand and features you're looking for. Then I saw there were machines that ranged from $200-300 (refurbished) with the essentials I needed. The $499 one was a tad out of my price range and had features I probably won't touch unless I became a better sewer.

I consider myself a beginning to intermediate sewer, sewing and hemming my own things since I was a little girl. My mom was a tailor back in the day and I was drawn to her Singer sewing machine (the same one she uses to this day that I love). She used to make clothes for my Barbie and Ken dolls with scrap fabric. Oh, those were the days.

I was always more into the arts & crafts rather than make-up and shopping. I did multiple crafts since I could pick up a pen: sew, knit, crochet, cross-stitch, embroidery, lanyard-making, jewelery-making, scrapbook, etc. Either I was playing outside or doing my nifty crafts - never bored on a rainy day! Then when middle school and high school came around, I found love in painting and drawing. My hubby even got me this awesome easel with some incredible painting supplies that I have yet to tackle. I don't consider myself great at all of that, but when you like something so much, you try hard to be good at it, right? So I want to tackle sewing next.

A good sewing machine that can suit my needs will be my next big for-fun buy, so I'm doing my research for now. Some other important (or not) purchase always comes up instead, ya know what I mean? I might just hint to the hubster though. I already have but he didn't seem to pick it up. Maybe I gotta nudge him a bit harder. If that doesn't work, maybe an elbow to the gut when we drive by the Singer store. Ha, just messin'. But it might work.

1 Comments:

Blogger Nosmo King said...

I know I've already told you this in person, but I'll comment here about it again just to make it official. My first request after your aquisition of a vintage singer (and by vintage singer i am not referring to an old melodically vocal person) are some breakfast pillows. Yums!

August 22, 2008 at 9:34 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home