my bickerings and banterings

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Opt-out?

Notice the sudden string of blogs in such a close time range. Can I make it more obvious that it's been slow at work? That just means next month is gonna be nuts. I'm blogging more frequently to keep up with my own life since everything seems like a blur these days. I don't want to be so swamped as to forget to jot down particular memories and thoughts I know I'll appreciate stumbling upon later.

Well, onto a more personal update.

My baby toddler is walking/stumbling along with his newfound use of legs and feet whilst holding whatever glorious discovery he can find whether it be a toy or the dog food, which I have to pry out of his hands. He looks like a little drunk guy - freakin' hilarious. He's finally mastered unlevel areas such as from the playmat onto the hardwood floor or vice versa. He already mastered climbing the stairs months ago. I do miss his newborn infant days, when he cracked his first smile, started rolling over, doing the military crawl (army wife terminology there), babbling.

I'm stating that *gasp* I'm ready to take on this next one, that I miss those newborn days. I never even pictured myself as a mother of even one and sometimes I still can't believe it. I thought I wasn't ready. I was so stressed out, thinking I wasn't ready for no sleep and nursing and colic and ten diaper changes a day. But here I am, anxious for the day he arrives. Having children close together has its ups and downs. Of course, the down is that you have an overactive toddler running around wanting your attention while you're trying to comfort a crying infant in your arms. The up is that you haven't forgotten the ins and outs of rearing the baby and you have all the necessary items from the first child already. First-time parents, no matter how much they planned beforehand, are never ready for that first child(s). They don't know what hit them in the first three months of the baby's life, going through it in a zombie-like state, wondering when the baby will ever come to terms with his or her new world. At least, that's how we were. I'm so glad we went through it though, because we are stronger and more confident as a couple, parents, and as a family. I truly believe newborns come to this world to test our love and limits. Once we come through, there never was such a more wonderful thing. So now, I actually feel ready, extremely content, and relaxed about this second one - and I'm more than sure he'll sense our more relaxed nature and be more relaxed himself. We're crossing our fingers at least - ha.

I notice the big brother is taking a liking to my growing belly. We get a kick out of him rubbing it and then smiling his big whole-hearted smile. He obviously doesn't realize what's baking, but he knows it's growing. I'm so grateful he's going to have a brother so close in age with him. Who doesn't want a sibling the same sex? I always wanted a sister, and B always wanted a brother. With this stroke of luck, our first two children will have this fortune.

Who knows what the third will bring? Of course, I want a girl, but a boy again is fine too. B is the one who wants a third, and surprisingly, I'm not completely against it. I always thought a bigger family is more endearing.

I realize I'm young with goals that I wish to attain within the next ten years (hopefully), but it seems motherhood is the best thing that has ever happened to me, the thing that I'm best at, and the most rewarding. Since I have the option of doing it full-time, Opting-out doesn't seem like a bad idea in the near future...

What do you think about opting-out? Is it so wrong that women simply don't want to be in the workforce despite their education and experience? That they ignore all the eye-rolling and the opinions of those who choose to stay child-free and/or opt-in?

I was once an advocate of opting-in, but you truly don't know the meaning of motherhood until you enter it. It's a whole other splendid ball game. My take is if you have the luxury and yearning of being a SAHM, especially if you feel torn between work and home, by all means, do it. That's something you will never regret. And if you choose to work, then that's great, too. Having your own day, your own paycheck, and extra income for the family can't go wrong either.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I think that each woman should "follow her bliss." That is, if you want to be a SAHM and can make it work financially, go for it. If you don't want to be a SAHM, then don't.

But I do think that article is bullshit. Eight women do not a "revolution" make. Statistics show that more than 2/3 of women with children under the age of 18 work for pay. That has remained relatively consistent for the past 20 years. Sometimes the news media creates drama where there is none just to get headlines.

Have you checked out this website: www.workitmom.com ? It's very cool.

August 28, 2008 at 10:59 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home