my bickerings and banterings

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Traveling with Two Toddlers Solo is a No No if you have heart problems

This is how it all went down the day of departure to meet up with Daddy Bill in FL.

My brother helped me check in, thank goodness. We parked the car, and he helped me with the luggage while I pushed the stroller. Everything was going well so far.

My only dread was going through security, but I went through it even faster than couples who had only one baby and parents who had children who were older and self sufficient. Go me! The red security lights started flashing and party music blared and confetti came down and TSA applauded me and shouted "GO SUPERMOM!"...all in my head. You get it, I was pretty darn proud of my efficiency.

I played it in my mind at least three times before our turn came up: shoes off, in a bin, dvd player and fluids out, in a bin, diaper bag and back pack, in a bin, booster seat, in a bin, unbuckle boys, take them out of stroller, fold up stroller, put stroller on x-ray conveyor table, push all through to the x-ray as I wait for people in front of me to go through while calling out to wandering kids excited about having no shoes on in public, push kids through metal detector one by one, then myself through, go back to conveyor table, put our shoes on, put dvd player and fluids back in bag, take out of bins, open stroller, put boys back in stroller ASAP (as they start wandering again), hang bags on stroller, hang booster seat on stroller on top of bags, and off to the gate we go! Phew.

Unfortunately, there was no way in rushing through the ridiculously long secruity line. I didn't expect it to be so crowded on a Thursday, but I should've known better considering it was Memorial Day weekend. So getting to the gate, I hauled some major ass. I was literally sprinting. (Note to parents: Get there much earlier than you plan on!) Plus, I was in the wrong terminal..just my luck! I could've sworn we parked in the correct area. My brother and I checked twice! Ugh. Well, the boys loved "Mommy going fast! Weee!!" while pushing them through the airport, to an elevator to the tram to the right terminal, then towards the gate yelling "EXCUSE ME! COMING THROUGH!" the entire way.

Panting and gasping for air, I approached the lady at the gate, who was announcing "...cancellation fees will apply. This is the last call for flight...(gets off the mic) Ms. So?" her eyes concerned but smiling.

"YES!" I panted.

I handed her our boarding passes, which she quickly scanned.

I hurried down the gangway, unbuckled the kids, took them out of stroller, took the bags and booster seat off the stroller, folded the stroller and left it on the gangway so it could be checked in.

I had bought two tickets, one for me, one for P, and R was to sit in my lap. It turned out differently though. Despite his uber excitement to get on the plane, P suddenly became terrified of it. (Toddlers' bipolarism is and will forever remain a mystery.) As we went down the gangway, he started bawling in the stroller, gradually getting louder and more scared the closer we got to the plane door. When we got to the door and as I took the boys out of the stroller, P jumped up and down wanting me to hold him. With hands full holding the diaper bag and booster seat, the backpack on my back, and another wandering toddler already exploring the gangway (the wrong way, away from the plane door!), I was up to here with my patience. But the flight attendant immediately came to the rescue and was so kind as to take the booster seat out of one of my hands, so I can hold P.

R, on the other hand, just strolled right on into the plane upon seeing us entering. He had no reservations whatsoever. He practically ran down the aisle, without so much as a nod from me to go all the way to the back.

I would've chosen seats closer to the front, but the last row were the last seats available. We probably bumped every passenger in an aisle seat going back. At least some smiled and the flight attendant helped get us there. I probably said sorry and thank you a gazillion times before finally getting to the back row.

Excited little R even went so far back that he reached the lavatory door. Passengers who watched him let out some laughs and awwws, which made me smile, which felt surprisingly really good after all that we just went through.

Not done yet though! In the window seat the booster seat went, on the booster seat went baby, on my lap went big brother, and under the chairs in front us went the diaper bag and backpack as I sat down in my seat and seatbelted us in.

We made it. Finally.

Well, not so fast. We had the 1.5 hour flight to look forward to. During take-off, they were predictably entertained for quite awhile...maybe five minutes. From then on, it was pure entertainment from Mommy. I had to bust out the new cheapy toys earlier than I wanted, which, to my huge relief, they loved for about 30 minutes. Then I had to bust out the dvd player, which occupied them for another 30 minutes. Awesome, 25 more minutes left! This last bit was filled with ordering drinks, getting them, and letting them enjoy their pretzels and drinks, which they both whole-heartedly enjoyed.

Thank you so much to the nice flight attendant off duty who sat next to me the entire time. He was this older man with three grown kids, and he desperately wanted grandkids. He complimented me for being a brave, patient mother, which always feels great to hear, and complimented my kids for being some of the best kids he's seen on a flight. Kudos to Mommy and sons!

Next thing you know, we were descending. This was where it was most challenging as the boys started tugging their ears. They were tired of the drinks and pretzels by now, as well as their sippy cups, so they wouldn't suck anything to relieve their ear pressure. This was probably the only time I was relieved P is a thumbsucker, as I encouraged him to do so. As for R, he just was super antsy in my lap. He wanted to crawl around my feet, but I wouldn't let him because he had to be in my lap during descent. Needless to say, he got whiny.

And then, I see land out the plane windows. Praise the Lord - we are here! The kids were just as excited about seeing the land, and this occupied them until the plane stopped.

Getting out was much easier, as the passengers around me, having gotten to know the "sweet, cute" little guys, helped me out quite a bit. There was someone for both bags and booster seat, so I just guided the boys out of the plane. Our stroller was right outside the plane door already propped up and ready to go. The passengers were so kind as to wait for me to buckle the boys in before I took my belongings from them. Such nice people - never take help for granted, Moms!

Off we went to see Daddy. There he was...waiting, arms out-stretched and a smile that would light up any rainy day.

So, that all said, here is advice for those who are willing to take up the challenge: (I googled "traveling with two toddlers.")

Flying with kids

Mothering discussions on flying with kids

Making travel days with kids work

4 Comments:

Blogger Nosmo King said...

omgawd ... i haven't even read this entire entry yet but i felt i had to leave a comment asap to tell you how awesome u are for surviving that ... and i almost already predicted that r would be in the seat whilst p is in ur lap ... haha! go super mom!

June 14, 2010 at 9:14 AM  
Blogger AntsyMama said...

hahaha thanks..i'm glad i survived it too.

June 14, 2010 at 5:24 PM  
Anonymous soape said...

man. i had no idea going through security was that stressful. the things we take for granted!

your kids seriously have the best mom ever. =)

man that was an anxiety driven post. take a deep breath and relax...! the travel is over (for now)? =)

June 14, 2010 at 7:14 PM  
Blogger Julia Nguyen said...

A post like this can really discourage someone from having kids! Good on you being patient and willing.

July 28, 2010 at 3:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home