my bickerings and banterings

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Angleton, TX

My dad has always wanted a get-away house, somewhere beachy. Fortunately, his coworker knew someone who was selling their place down in Angleton (straight down 288-S for those Houstonians who don't know). So my parents went down there to take a look and bought it pretty much on the spot! It was a deal they couldn't pass up, but needed quite a bit of TLC. They managed to fix most of it up.

Until Hurricane Katrina came along. Let's just say insurance gave them a hefty five-digit check to fix it again. And get this, that amount wasn't enough! So, they're scrounging to get it fixed with whatever means they could to get it done over. The intent is to sell it though, because...

In the meantime, my dad eyed this other house, if you could even call it that back then, down the street three houses over. It literally looked like a two-story shack, because whoever owned it all but abandoned it. It was filled with junk from bottom up, where no sunlight was even peeping through. It looked like something straight out of a horror flick, smelly, moldy, old, dark, depressing, and did I mention smelly? I was picturing torturous happenings occuring in there..*shivers*. Needless to say, my parents bought it! I gave them mad props for tackling such a huge project. They had so much ahead of them, what with fixing the first house again and now tearing this sucker apart to rebuild it.

The first house...

It has recently been listed to be sold. Let me know if you know anyone interested!






^^Close up of the side decking my dad did himself. I was quite impressed! It leads up to the master bedroom.


^^Part of the back decking. It's a working boat lift.


^^More of the back decking.




^^The stairs that lead up to the master bedroom.






^^Master bedroom.


^^Main bathroom.



...As you can see, it still needs some work, before getting sold. Now onto the second house...


^^Interior after it was cleared out and frame put up. I wasn't able to get any photos of when my parents first bought the place. But let me reiterate, it was scarryyy!













Now here it is after all the renovations. Talk about a lot of work...phew! Good job, Daddy!


^^Lil P going up the stairs.






^^Feeding the birdies with Grandma and Grandpa.


^^Front decking.




^^Argghhh, matey! I need to eat me some mo' spinach so I can get as big as me little brother! And I also like wearin' me papa's shoes..aarrgghh!












^^Scenery on the back deck. Pretty relaxing, minus the 300 degree weather and 112% humidity.




^^A view of the entire back deck.


^^Crabs galore! We have seven crab cages along the front and back of the house in the water. Everytime we go down there, we stuff our faces with crabs we catch. Yum!

Here's the interior...




^^Kitchen. What you see when you walk through the front door.


^^Dining area + kitchen.


^^Living room. Don't mind the big white man laying on the floor. He just happened to walk in and asked for money and a place to sleep and a clean bathroom. OK, seriously, he's my parents' sponsors from way back in the day. Him and his wife, great people they are, took my parents out of their refugee camp, where they lived upon arriving in the USA after the fall of Saigon. We are forever grateful they took my parents in and helped them get back on their feet when they had nothing but a few items of clothing. And now here they are visiting my parents at their lakehouse. We've come a long, long way, thanks to them!


^^Bathroom 1.


^^Master bedroom.


^^More living room.

2 Comments:

Blogger Nosmo King said...

yes. good job daddy! he did such a wonderful job and so fast too! preston is so darn cute with his joker grin ... haha ... i love the one where he's all arg matey ... i think my dad's been looking to buy another beach house ... not sure he's interested in the angleton area though ... i'll get more deets from you later.

August 12, 2009 at 9:18 AM  
Blogger AntsyMama said...

yeah my parents go every wkd without fail, so they are pretty much dedicating all their free time to fixing it up. i feel so bad what happened to your parent's house..hopefully he'll have luck finding something.

August 15, 2009 at 8:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home